- I'm looking forward to being in a hot, dry climate rather than a hot, muggy one. It's a matter of personal taste and health. Philly's dampness tends to bring me out in a rash.
- I'm looking forward to being in a wilderness, rather than trapped in the urban sprawl. I can't wait to go hiking and climbing, see the stars, draw plants and avoid rattlesnakes.
- I'm looking forward to getting there, on a train across the whole US, with all those spaces in time on a train in which there are so many things I won't be able to do that I'll end up doing some of the ones I really wanted.
- I'm looking forward to a change of scene, just for the sake of the sharpened awareness I get from new places.
- I'm looking forward to having a whole new set of furniture, living space and a neighborhood to explore and get used to.
- I'm looking forward to Mike not working office hours out of the home any more, since that put a lot of pressure on me and Antonia.
- I'm glad that packing up all my stuff gave me the opportunity to review it and get rid of any accumulated uneccessary items - mostly paperwork. I was starting to get that encrusted feeling.
Sunday 29 May 2011
Day 58: Tomorrow we leave Philadelphia
We will be taking the train all the way across the country, calling in Pittsburgh for dinner on Monday evening, spending a day in Chicago then taking the South Western Chief to Los Angeles. Our final destination is Joshua Tree. Although I love Philadelphia, I'm looking forward to being on the road again, for reasons related to our destination and for reasons to do with travel in its own right.